Tuesday 20 December 2011

Two New Projects for 2012


2011 has seen me start to establish myself as a charity campaigner and fundraiser. I've been lucky enough to literally change lives with both Cancer Research UK and CLIC Sargent. I've met some incredible people along the way: my fellow ambassadors and fundraisers are really inspiring and I'm so glad to be getting to know them all slowly.

2012 will be even busier for me on the charity front. I'm really excited about my next CRUK Ambassador campaign (all to be revealed in the new year!) and I have a list of charities I'm hoping to work with: Sarcoma UK, CLIC Sargent and Teenage Cancer Trust to name but a few!

I'm hoping you have all enjoyed reading my blog, there will be so much more to come in 2012, I'm hoping to make it my biggest year so far: in my careers, personal life and charity work.

There are two projects that are really special to me and I thought I'd give you a little preview of what's to come for me in 2012:

The George Pantziarka TP53 Trust
2011 will always been defined as the year we lost Georgie. It has been a weird, horrific and very sad year for me and my family. It’s been hard for us all to get up and carry on with life but I, for one, have tried my hardest to try and honour his memory as I know he would be angry to think we weren’t living our lives. His death was a senseless one and I do really believe that the only way I can make any sense of him leaving us is by helping others suffering from cancer.

My uncle is an inspiration. How the man has coped with all life has thrown at him both astounds and amazes me. After losing his seventeen year old son in April he has somehow managed to find the strength to not only carry on functioning as a human being but he has also found time to set up a trust in Georgie’s name.

2012 will see the launch of the George Pantziarka TP53 Trust. Details of this trust can be found on my Uncle’s site www.anticancer.org.uk

I am excited to see how the trust can help people and prevent them from a fate similar to Georgie’s. I agree with my uncle: there is not enough information about the TP53 gene or, Li Fraumeni Syndrome (LFS). I’m so proud of my uncle for doing something about this and I look forward to helping him in whatever way I can.

……………………………

The Liam Fairhurst Foundation

As I’ve mentioned before, I love Twitter! It has put me in touch with some amazing people. One of which is a young man, and possibly the hardest working teenager in the world, Callum Fairhurst.

Callum lost his brother Liam to Cancer in 2009. He was just fourteen years old. Like my uncle, Callum and his parents have found the strength to use their knowledge and experiences to help others. They will be launching the Liam Fairhurst Foundation in early 2012. The LFF has been Setup to help young people especially those affected by serious illness and disabilities all in honour of Liam.

I’m thrilled and honoured that Callum has asked me to be a part of the LFF team and I’m busy coming up with ideas for fundraising. Callum has so many ideas of how to make the charity huge and I’m so proud to be a part of something that will hopefully help many many people in the future.

Georgie and Liam were taken from this world far too soon. Both were amazing young boys and I’m proud and happy to say I will be working hard in 2012 to help others in their memories

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment