Wednesday 21 December 2011

My Big Bucket Collection - The Result!

So my Big Bucket Collection for CLIC Sargent was supposed to take place on Friday 16th December 2011. I managed to get quite a few helpers and I even got some publicity in my local newspaper, the Ilford Recorder.

However on the Monday before the collection Tesco decided to move my collection date from Friday to Thursday. To say this was a nightmare is a slight understatement. This meant I has absolutely no helpers and had managed to give Tesco publicity for their own charity event which they had decided to do on the Friday instead.

So on Thursday 15th December, I stood outside Tesco in Woodford Green from 9.30am until 4pm. I had to stand in the lobby area which was a wind trap and extremely cold! I wasn’t given the table I was promised so I had to hold a bucket in one hand and keep the other hand on the box full of my equipment and my handbag. It was an experience to say the least!

Collecting money for charity has a way of making you despair of people whilst also amazing you with people’s generosity. Doing the collection on a Thursday day time rather then a weekend meant I didn’t see as many people as I could have done. It was mostly retired people to be honest.

Some people were incredibly generous, I had two people put £10 notes in my bucket, and some were incredibly rude. I had a sign behind me to say I was collecting for children with cancer and at one point I was pushed out the way by an old lady who wanted to pet a dog standing near me!

I had big plans for my bucket collection and I didn’t turn out the way I has hoped. Nonetheless it was a brilliant experience, one I shall be repeating numerous times next year.

I’m proud to say I managed to raise £200 for CLIC Sargent which will go towards helping children with cancer in the UK. Thank you to everyone who helped out and everyone who donated! See you all again in 2012!

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment