Tuesday 17 January 2012

Buppou - A Tribute

Today marks two years since my buppou died. It was a Sunday night and my dad called me to say he had passed away. My uncle Chris and I were on a flight the Cyprus first thing the next morning to go to his funeral. I miss him very much so I wanted to pay tribute to him.

I don't know what happens to us when we die but I like to think my buppou is sitting somewhere, reunited with my yiayia, Dada Sotiris and Auntie Eleni. I hope they are watching over the rest of us Christophe's. Hopefully they'll have come across Nouna Gina and Georgie at some point too.

My buppou was famous for being a bit cantankerous and I am reliably informed that my brother Louis is following in his footsteps so I'm glad that part of him lives on because I do actually miss it! He did really love all of his grandchildren and I hope he can see how well we are all doing and how much we all miss him. I hope he can see how bravely my dad and Uncle Chris have coped with losing their family. I'm sure he would be proud of us all.

My buppou was a very brave man. He lost everything during the war in Cyprus and he came to England and built a life for his family. He lost two children and the love of his life to cancer and somehow managed to carry on. He fought his own battle with cancer. So much happened to him but somehow he found the strength to get through it all with courage, bravery and a few grumpy comments.

So today I'll be raising my glass to my Buppou: gone but never ever forgotten. Much missed and much loved. Always.

xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment