Monday 7 July 2014

Cancer Research UK Volunteer Showcase - Nicola Stojkovic

I came across lovely Nicola on Twitter (you get to meet some lovely charity related people on Twitter!!) and quickly became chatty with her.  I’m always in awe of the exceptionally busy people who still find the time to do things for charity, they always make me feel mega lazy!


Nicola lives in Easingwold with her husband and two beautiful children. She is a brilliant fundraiser for CRUK and is a really lovely and supportive friend. She has kindly agreed to let me share her advice for wannabe volunteers and her reasons for working with CRUK.



What made you decide to volunteer for Cancer Research UK?

My Dad was 47 when he was diagnosed with Oesophageal cancer in 1997. A fit, healthy and non smoker. My Dad was lucky, the cancer was detected early and he made a full recovery. He is one of those we call a lucky one ~ a survivor. That is why I support Cancer Research UK. My hope is that one day maybe not in my lifetime but in my children's there will be a cure for cancer. I have been volunteering for CRUK since my youngest child started school in September 2008.


What sort of things do you do for the charity?

Over the last 6 years I have done a variety of things from been the secretary of the committee I'm part of to serving teas and coffees, helping to run stalls, collecting money outside Tesco, volunteering at local Race for Life events to organising big events. In 2009 I organised my first event, a children's fun day. I invited the local school's orchestra and choir to perform and a local dance school who performed too. I even managed to get a local theme park to sponsor the day! I had the usual stalls and raffle. The day was a massive success. It was after that day, that I was asked by my area manager if I would organise a Little Legs for Life event. Little Legs for Life is an event for children in essence a Race for Life for children. I have since organised two Little Legs for Life and I'm currently organising my third.

 

What are your favourite aspects of volunteering for the charity?

Probably knowing that I am making people aware of the work that Cancer Research do and where the money raised goes. People often ask me that! I have met many new people too, not just where I live but from other area's of the UK. It is always nice too, when people at events come up to you and thank you for what you do or ask if I will be doing Little Legs for Life again. Do I have any future volunteering plans? I would like to get more involved with Race for Life. I volunteered at two local events in June and loved it! I would also like to organise a black tie dinner!

 

What advice would you give to anyone considering volunteering for CRUK?

Do it! The new skills, knowledge and experience you gain will help you enhance your CV. Meeting new people is always nice. I have always been supported by my area volunteer manager. It can sometimes be hard work and at times stressful organising an event but once the day is over and you count up how much you raised you know it was worth it.

 

 

Nicola is currently getting ready to host her next Little Legs for Life event. If you live in Easingwold or the surrounding area I can highly recommend going along to this event, it is so much fun and has a lovely atmosphere!! I’m hoping to do an event with Nicola in the near future, she certainly knows her stuff and I’m honoured she allowed me to share her thoughts here today. Thanks Nic!! xxx





No comments:

Post a Comment