Saturday 19 July 2014

All About Amazing Alice

When I first became involved with Cancer Research UK my mum was worried that the subject would leave me feeling depressed and sad, especially as Georgie died six months after I started as an Ambassador. 

However, it has actually at the opposite effect, I've met so many incredible people and they have changed my outlook on life for the better. I've met people who genuinely astound me with the way they handle their diagnosis and treatment. The charity has filled my life with friends with such strength, dignity, compassion and bravery. I find myself inspired by them and they make me feel more positive just by being around them or talking to them. 

The word "inspirational" is thrown around frequently but it genuinely does apply in the case of Alice Roythorne. I was introduced to her via Twitter through some mutual friends at the charity and I was blown away by how she dealt with her diagnosis and treatment. Alice is the epitome of why I work with the charity so much, she is courageous, dignified and extremely kind. Cancer was not going to beat Alice, she fought it with everything she had and thankfully she is doing well. She has thrown herself into fundraising with her supportive friends and is preparing to do a Pretty Muddy event tomorrow - which looks like so much fun. 

I feel very privileged that Alice has allowed me to share her story with you guys today and I know she will inspire you just as she does me. Enjoy! 


"I first got involved with CRUK by deciding to share my story, in the hope that other pregnant ladies diagnosed with cancer wouldn't feel alone and might be encouraged by my successful treatment. At the time I'd never heard about anyone else being pregnant & treated for cancer.

I love being involved with CRUK, it's great to feel that some good may come from a difficult time in my life. I've met so many lovely people through things I've been lucky to do, CRUK staff and volunteers, they are all are a really fantastic bunch! I like the variety of things I've been able to do, even whilst undergoing chemotherapy & radiotherapy last year I cheered on runners at Cardiff half marathon, had my head painted and was featured in social media posts.

I'm joining forces with some great friends to climb the Welsh 3 peaks later this year to raise money for CRUK, something I hoped to do last year but had to postpone. I'm really looking forward to finally achieving it! My friends have been fantastic it will be lovely to do this with them. Also...I've applied for a place to run the London marathon....I'm not sure how I feel about this!! I had to, CRUK are the charity partner & I would be so proud to run for them. Big ask though after a year of treatment!

For anyone facing a cancer diagnosis I would say what kept me going through both of my diagnoses was great support from friends and family. There's a lot to cope with when you're diagnosed, lots of appointments to go to as well. It's very hard being close to someone with cancer and you can end up feeling useless. I know, I've been on both sides. So let people help. If they can take you to appointments, cook a meal, look after children, just come and be with you, it will help you and them."

Alice has invited myself and our friend Nancy to join her in Wales for a hike in September and I'm so excited to do it and spend some time with them as they are both funny and so positive to be around. They really put me to shame as well as they are both busy mums and wives but they still find the time to do so much for others! 

If you are currently facing cancer then please take some strength from Alice's story and her really helpful words of wisdom. 

Alice is taking part in Pretty Muddy tomorrow, if you would like to sponsor her then the link is https://www.justgiving.com/muddyarmy/

Thank you so much for allowing me to share this today Alice, I think you are absolutely amazing and I'm very grateful to be inspired by you on a frequent basis! 


No comments:

Post a Comment