Sunday 30 September 2012

Shine 2012


Hi guys,

I think I found the challenge that broke me!

Shine 2012 took place in London last night. We started at Battersea Power Station at around 9pm and the aim was to walk 26.2 miles across London before finishing back at the Power Station.

I've never taken part in a fundraising event before - I stick to the campaigning mostly. I didnt know what to expect so i set myself a modest target of £500. I managed to raise around £800 before the event. I'm so grateful - and blown away - by the generosity and support I received by my friends and family, it's just incredible!

My friend Nancy invited me to walk with her and her friends, a lovely and very welcoming group of brilliant fundraisers. Nancy and I got separated from the group at around 4 miles but we managed to find Jo at the 10 mile mark.

Nancy and Jo spurred me on, I really wanted to give up after about 13 miles but these two ladies are incredible! They have so much energy and enthusiasm, they are just and amazing!

Somewhere along 15 miles I twisted my ankle quite badly but managed to carry on to the next pitstop, which was around the 19/20 miles mark. There I went to see the paramedic and he told me to stop as I had done a bit of damage to my tendon. I have a problem with my knees and I think that put a lot of pressure of my ankles. So I had to admit defeat and stop there. 

My legs are really painful today but I'm trying to push through the pain! I'm so so disappointed that I didn't get to finish and I think I've let my generous sponsors down which makes me feel terrible. 

Thank you for all your brilliant support. Thanks to Nancy and Jo for keeping me going and for allowing me to walk with then. It was definitely a brilliant, but painful, experience and I'm in awe of the incredible people that do such fundraising events often.

The money raised will go towards Cancer Research UK's incredible research in memory of my six lost relatives - something I'm very proud of
Thanks guys :) xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment