Monday 17 September 2012

Cancer Research UK Volunteers Conference


Last week I was lucky enough to be invited to the South Essex Volunteers Conference for Cancer Research UK volunteers.

It was a lovely day, in a lovely hall in South Essex. I met some of my fellow ambassadors for a lovely lunch and a chat as well as meeting some amazing volunteers from all walks of life. It's always lovely going to a CRUK event because I know I'm going to meet up with lots of people who have become friends over the time I've spent as a volunteer so far.

I was asked to do a speech about life as a cancer campaigns ambassador and what being a volunteer means to me and I was blown away by the reception I received. People actually stopped me in the hallway to say they were moved by my family’s story and it genuinely made my day to hear that.

The lovely Tom and Lizzy did a brilliant talk for us all about the patient liaison and campaigning teams at CRUK and we had an AMAZING talk from Professor Kairbaan Hodivala-Dilke who gave us some really interesting scientific information about the work CRUK is involved in. I actually understood her and learnt loads from her – I must track her down actually, I want to find out more!

My fellow ambassador Sonia gave a hugely moving speech about her own personal cancer journey which was very heartfelt. She is a shining star and I really want to work with her more in the future after hearing about all the incredible things she does.

People often ask why I am so heavily involved with Cancer Research UK seeing as I already have a busy job and life. This conference just proves that being involved with the charity is one of the best decisions I have made in my life. We volunteers are so valued by the charity and it’s staff. We are treated as part of the team and given opportunities to do wonderful things and to make lovely friends and aqauintances. I hope to continue being part of this brilliant charity for a very long time and days like this one prove what a brilliant group of people CRUK volunteers are.

If you are looking for a charity to donate some of your spare time too then I highly recommend CRUK - your work and dedication won't go unnoticed.

Next up on the CRUK front is a trip to the Lib Dem Party Conference and Shine 2012 so look out for my updates on those!!

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment