Thursday 12 April 2012

Dawn, David and Neil - Award Winners


By now you all will know how much I love being part of the Cancer Research UK Ambassadors team. My fellow ambassadors are a fabulous group of people (I may have mentioned that once or twice!!) and I really enjoy getting to know them all slowly.

CRUK have a special awards ceremony every year to celebrate their amazing volunteers. The “Flame of Hope” Awards are voted for by CRUK staff members and recognise the hard work volunteers put in.
I’m really proud and excited to let you all know that some of my fellow ambassadors have won awards or been given special mentions! I’m especially excited because they are ambassadors that I have got to know and now consider to be good friends.

David Collins was given a special mention for his tireless and passionate work for CRUK. As I’ve mentioned previously, I see David as the unofficial group leader. He is organised, kind and incredibly intelligent. He supports and inspires me hugely and I’m so happy to see others notice how hard he works for our group. He is a social media wiz and he is working hard to get our tobacco control campaigns out there for people to hear about and support. David, like me, sees cancer as a political issue and works tirelessly to drive it up the political agenda. He is a fantastic ambassador and an incredible person; I’m absolutely thrilled to hear about him being commended for his work.

Dawn Green is a miracle. She was diagnosed with a very rare cancer and given just months to live well over 5 years ago. Instead of letting the disease beat her, Dawn has fought it with every ounce of her being. Not only has she fought her own cancer battles, she has also set her up own charity to help other people diagnosed with PMP. She also campaigns with us and shares her story at various events such as Race for Life. She has also been given a special mention by CRUK and she could not be more deserving. I am in awe of Dawn and I love her feisty, fun personality. She is a wonderful friend and an amazing woman.

Our Ambassador of the Year winner is the lovely Neil Ranasinghe and his stunning young daughter Anne. Anne was diagnosed with Leukaemia and thankfully survived. This amazing father and daughter duo work really hard to help others suffering from then disease by fundraising, media work and doing various presentations. They also work really hard on the “Little Stars” Awards to recognise children bravely battling cancer. Neil is a fantastic dad and a very funny, friendly man. Anne is an absolutely beautiful young girl and obviously very compassionate too. I’m so so glad they’ve won the award because I know how hard it is to watch a child suffer from cancer and I commend anyone who can get through that horrific experience and still have energy to want to help others. Congratulations Neil and Anne!!!

I am constantly humbled and inspired by my fellow ambassadors. They are incredible people and I have so much respect for them all. They push me to work hard every single day and I am often left gobsmacked by the incredible work they do and the amazing results they achieve. Congratulations to my three lovely friends on their fantastic recognition, they really do deserve it!

Lots of love

Pen xx

1 comment:

  1. Penny you are an inspiration to me your wonderfully positive and supportive outlook is infectious! Thank you so much for your kind words x x

    ReplyDelete