Friday 11 October 2013

Remembering Bengu Shail - Greek, Turkish and Cypriot Bone Marrow Donors Needed

Bengu Shail was a fellow Cancer Campaigns Ambassador for Cancer Research UK. She sadly died at the age of thirty five earlier this year after a long batter with cancer. Unfortunately I didn’t get to know her very well but she has still impacted my life in a positive way and I wanted to use a blog post to pay tribute to her and help pass on the message she worked so hard to raise awareness of.

Bengu volunteered for several charities including Macmillan and CRUK. She also fundraised, campaigned and advocated. A lot of this was done from her hospital bed or whilst she was undergoing treatments. I am told she had a very positive outlook on life and was always very selfless.

Bengu was diagnosed with ALL (acute lymphoblastic leukaemia in September 2009. She went into remission after two years of intensive treatment and began working for Macmillan as a Case Studies Officer, helping other cancer patients. Sadly she was informed in October 2012 that the disease had returned and Bengu’s only hope was a bone marrow transplant.

Like my family, Bengu was from Cyprus (North Cyprus to be precise). Unfortunately Anthony Nolan were unable to find a matching donor on their UK register. Patients are more likely to find a match if they have a similar ethnic background and sadly the Greek, Turkish and Cypriot community are hugely underrepresented on the register in the UK.

Bengu herself once said “All of us want a cure for cancer. In my case, the cure is no in the hands of scientists, it is in the hands of my community – selfless people who are willing to spare a few hours of their time to give someone like me a chance to live.”

As a fellow Cypriot I think the best way for me to honour this incredible lady is to look into ways of becoming a bone marrow donor and encourage people from the same background as me to do the same. The Greek and Cypriot communities are famous for their hospitality and their sense of community. I for one have always been hugely proud to be a Greek Cypriot and I feel if we can be helping save each others lives by donating some bone marrow then we should be doing this!!! So if you’re one of my fellow Cypriots – please do check out Anthony Nolan and see how you can go about donating some bone marrow - you could save the life of a fellow Cypriot!
Bengu sounds like an incredible woman and I’m so sad that I didn’t get an opportunity to get to know her. I’m also very sad that this inspiring young lady was taken in the prime of her life. I hope others can be saved by her important message and her memory lives on with an increase in bone marrow donors from the Greek, Turkish and Cypriot communities.

To look into becoming a bone marrow donor please visit http://www.anthonynolan.org/


To donate in memory of Bengu please visit http://www.justgiving.com/remember/78465/Bengu%20-Shail

No comments:

Post a Comment