Friday 2 January 2015

CRUK Volunteer Showcase - Penny Christofi

Happy New Year!!! I hope 2015 is a year full of happiness, good health, love and success for anyone reading this post!

This site will have a new system this year. Every Monday a factual post will be uploaded and every Friday a volunteer showcase will be uploaded. Things will kick off properly from Monday but as today is the first Friday of 2015 I thought I would start as I mean to go on and post a showcase. Today I'm using myself as a soft launch for the new system. Next week it will kick off properly with the one and only David Collins; ultimate volunteer and my unofficial mentor!

Bits and pieces are known about myself and my volunteer role with CRUK but if you haven't been reading the site from the beginning and don't know me personally here is all about me!

What Made You Decide to Volunteer for CRUK?
I started volunteering in November 2010 when I was twenty one years old. My cousin, Georgie, had been suffering from osteosarcoma, his third cancer, for several years at that point and I had lost my Buppou (Grandfather) to cancer in January that year. In the past I had also lost my Uncle, two Aunts and my Yiayia (Grandmother). I wanted to actively start doing something to help and the Ambassador programme seemed to be able to combine my knowledge of politics with my desire to do something worthwhile for people like my cousin. Georgie died five months after I started volunteering and the work I was doing definitely helped with my grief and continues to do so even now.

What Sort of Things Do You Do For The Charity?
If I'm honest there isn't a lot I wouldn't do for CRUK! My main role with the charity is "Cancer Campaigns Ambassador for Bromley and Chislehurst"which means I represent my local contituency. I liaise with the local press to seek support and publicity for our campaigns. I meet with, and sometimes lobby, my local MP and other political figures to flag up campaign issues and try to persuade them to take positive action.
My role as a volunteer has expanded hugely in the last four years. On top of my Ambassador role I have also been known to make speeches, volunteer at events such as Race for Life and Shine, take part in events such as Race for Life and Shine, attend political party conferences, appear in CRUK videos, Facebook and Twitter campaigns, mentor other volunteers, share my stories at events and volunteer conferences, collect petition signatures and donate to CRUK shops. Basically if CRUK ask me to do something, I'll do it!

What Are Your Favourite Aspects of Volunteering for the Charity?
The people I get to meet are, without a doubt, the best part of being a volunteer. The friends I've made and the bonds that have formed are truly amazing. The people I've met through CRUK are truly compassionate, inspiring and brave people that have genuinely changed my life and my outlook, The first people to offer me support during both the good and bad times.
Getting to see positive results is also incredible. Walking into a supermarket and seeing the blank cigarette display due to our campaign, seeing survival rates increase and knowing I've had a very small part to play, messages from people explaining they have gone for a check up or tried to give up smoking after reading this blog - there is no better feeling then knowing you're making a small but positive difference in the world you live in.

Do You Have Any Future Volunteering Plans?
2015 is an election year in the UK so it's a very busy period for the CRUK Ambassador family. I'm very excited to get stuck in and work within our fantastic team to make this the best year yet for CRUK.
On a personal level this is my fifth year of being a volunteer and I'm branching out slightly. I'm going to be more patient focused this year - shopping for those that are unable to do so themselves, visiting patients and getting involved in a different aspect of volunteering.

What Advice Would You Give Anyone Considering Volunteering for CRUK?
You will never regret becoming a volunteer. It will change your life. You'll meet people and experience things that will change your outlook. You'll find yourself offering to do more and more. Being a volunteer is one of the best things I have ever done and it is certainly the thing I am most proud of. GO FOR IT! 







1 comment:

  1. Happy 2015 Penny!
    Just realised it's election year, and what this means for CR UK & everyone else helping fight cancer.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete