Thursday 24 November 2016

Christmas Cheer 2016

2016 has been a crazy year for the World. I know many people are feeling disheartened and worried about what lies ahead for us all. I was inspired to do some fundraising as a way to show people there is still good in the world and that the power does not lie with the people in charge, but it lies with us, the general public. Citizens. If we show kindness and understanding to each other then we can make the world a nicer, safer place for people around us. Little by little.

I firmly believe in volunteering. I was twenty one when I started and it changed my life. It gave me an outlet for my creativity. It developed my compassion and made me realise how fortunate I am. It gave me a circle of friends who share my interests and inspire me on a daily basis. It helps me make a real difference to the world around me.

I am currently in the middle of my latest voluntary project – Christmas Cheer 2016.

I became an auntie for the first time in February this year and I immeadiately became obsessed with my niece, Mia Ariana. Since she came into my life I have become more aware of the fact that she is blessed to be able to grow up in a safe, loving environment. As a family we are able to provide her with material things as well as love. Many children do not have the same upbringing and I wanted to do something to change this in a small way. In honour of my niece, and to start teaching her from a young age to give back and do something to help others.

I decided to split the money between Cyprus and the UK as these are my home countries. My Stepdad works for the Metropolitan Police and takes part in their annual present appeal so I decided to support this cause. I was given a list of fifteen children, their gender and their age, to buy presents for. I also decided to help Crisis with their annual appeal to help the homeless. We will use some of the money to buy food and supplies to help them this winter. In Cyprus I decided to help the Pancyprian Volunteerism Coordinative Council with their “Adopt a Family” drive. So we will use some of the money to buy food and presents for the underprivileged families in Cyprus.

My friends and family were very supportive and in total we raised an amazing GBP618.34/EUR723.85. This weekend we will be going out to start getting our supplies ready for delivery. I couldn't be more excited. Somehow it makes Christmas more special knowing we have helped lots of other families have a nicer one. I will post photos of our supplies when we have bought them!

Let me know if you will be doing something similar this Christmas!





No comments:

Post a Comment